Monday, November 4, 2013

Work-in-Progress and Open Studio news


Hellooooooooooooooo

I just started this new blog - annoyingly I wasn't able to upload my already existing Live Journal blog - and have decided to make this one about work-in-progress, news for what's going on in the Open Studio that I monitor at the Woodstock School of Art (WSA), and whatever else seems worthy of note including the occasional rant.

First Item of Note: check out my commentaries about art on Roll Magazine online. Latest is about the new, massive show going on right now (until Dec 15, 2013) at Industry City in the Sunset Park area of Brooklyn: Come Together: Surviving Sandy. Artists include a number of "Bold Face" names: Alex Katz, Chuck Close, Kiki Smith, Shirin Neshat and very interesting works by Shojo Azari, Bruce High Quality Foundation, Dustin Yellin, Diana Cooper, Corban Walker (from my old alma mater) among many others and also under-recognized and emerging artists. A good read, if I say so myself.

Also Worthy of Note: I am scheduled to teach a class at the Woodstock School of Art (WSA) entitled "The Contemporary Portrait" - this will begin on January 8th just to coincide with all those New Year's resolutions so, Phantom, take note*. The class will run for 8 weeks - usually at WSA people pay for each set of four classes in advance and that works out at $140 or $35 per class. If there is an appetite for more, we shall continue for another four weeks. We will begin with drawing and, fairly soon, work up to painting. For more info and *to sign up, go to the WSA website (at this point, they still haven't put the new 2014 schedule up).

Life Drawing & Painting Open Studio - it is every Thursday morning at the beautiful Woodstock School of Art and only costs $20 including the model fee, or $50 for four sessions if paid in advance (no make-ups though). We have long poses that often continue for three weeks so many of us paint. Starting this Thursday (November 7th) we have a three week pose with Ann. And then, hopefully, a three-week pose (model TBA), thereby bring us up to the holidays.

WEDNESDAY GROUP: from November 6, four of us are starting an independent painting group also at WSA. Unlike the Thursday Open Studio which is open to all comers, we want this group to consist of seven artists, six committed to being regular participants + one guest or floating artist so that we always have good access to the model. At the time of writing we are still looking for our sixth. Like the Thursday group it will be a long pose - up to three or possibly four weeks per pose.

WORK-IN-PROGRESS: first is a mock up of the 12"x 12" profile photo project that I am working on with a mix of some finished 12 x 12s, and some cropped photos of larger paintings. I like the idea that it would be huge.
Below are two pieces I am in need of completing, first is a 20 x 20. Second is approx 65" x 24" full length portrait. The subject mostly needs facial hair at this point.

   .



I cropped the face for the 12 x 12 mock-up above.

Below are some images that show my process - this painting I just finished yesterday (Nov, 2013)





Like my FACEBOOK page, dammit
 
(I can't figure out how to put the FB badge on the blog)



No comments:

Post a Comment